dll wrapper strategy help

Gaul, Ken Ken.Gaul at beCogent.com
Tue Aug 5 05:17:50 CDT 2003

I hope this is right list for this question but here is my requirement..

Develop a new Unix shared library (I'll settle for an application if it
is easier) which makes calls to a vendor supplied windows DLL.
On first examination it looks like winelib is the way to go, but I'm
having trouble dissecting the documentation from whole windows
application porting to just what I need. Essentially from what I can
gather I need to write a spec file for the windows dll and somehow from
this build a windowsdll.so. Then I can just write a standard unix based
C program which I can link to this shared library, and compile using
standard gcc? Is that right? or there more too it than that.
The documentation for the spec file says that the ordinal stuff is
optional and only required if you want dynamic loading. I tried omitting
it from my spec file and get
Expected ordinal declaration, got 'init'
make: *** [clscapi.dll.spec.c] Error 1
If I require the ordinal stuff what are they and how do I find out?
(Sorry I haven't done any serious C programming for about 10 years:( )
I seem to be going round in circles and just getting more confused...
Any pointers and help in this would be much appreciated.

Ken.

p.s Yes you're right I am completely out of my depth and probably
shouldn't even be trying this, but due to budgetary constraints I have
to try to come up with something without hiring a real programmer!

Ken Gaul
IT Infrastructure Manager
T: +44 (0) 1236-628140
F: +44 (0) 1236-628101