Alsa problems

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sat Dec 6 09:36:45 CST 2003

Hi,
   I'm trying out a current demo of Codeweavers Crossover Office and ran
into problems with Alsa. I posted this on the Codeweavers dission list
but got no responses. I looked in Wine's Bugzilla but didn't find
anything about this. I suspect it's new since Alsa just started it's
1.0.0rcX series this week. I'll post here to Wine-Users first, and then
to Wine-Devel if necessary.

Wine identifies itself as:

bash-2.05b$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine -version
Wine 20030911
bash-2.05b$

Which seems pretty new. However, when attempting to run a game using
Alsa I get the following messages:

** Thu Dec  4 04:41:38 2003
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' 'cxoffice'
'--'
'C:\SIERRA\CAESAR3DEMO\c3.exe'

fixme:imm:ImmAssociateContext ((nil), 0x404c3350): semi-stub
fixme:imm:ImmAssociateContext ((nil), 0x404c2e20): semi-stub
fixme:imm:ImmAssociateContext ((nil), 0x40502838): semi-stub
err:module:BUILTIN32_LoadLibraryExA failed to load .so lib for builtin
winealsa.drv: /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/winealsa.drv.so: undefined symbol:
snd_pcm_playback_drain
err:module:NE_LoadBuiltinModule failed to load .so lib for 16-bit
builtin winealsa.drv: /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/winealsa.drv.so: undefined
symbol: snd_pcm_playback_drain
bash-2.05b$

>From the Wine config file:

; Uncomment the "Drivers" line matching your sound setting.

;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"      ; default for most common configurations
;"Drivers" = "winearts.drv"    ; for KDE
"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"    ; for ALSA users
;"Drivers" = "winejack.drv"    ; for Jack sound server
;"Drivers" = "winenas.drv"     ; for NAS sound system
;"Drivers" = "wineaudioio.drv" ; for Solaris machines
;"Drivers" = ""                ; to disable sound
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

I posted this info on Alsa-Devel and Takashi-san relied with the
following info:

<SNIP>
it's a very old symbol used only in ALSA 0.5.x.
most likely the detection code in wine is broken, typically checking
only SND_MINOR_VERSION and not checking SND_MAJOR_VERSION.
if so, the wine driver believes that it's a 0.5.x, since the minor
version is 0 now.
<SNIP>

1) Can anyone else verify this?

2) Has this been fixed since the version I'm using?

Thanks,
Mark