Windows 3.0 apps can't find their files

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Dec 15 13:00:06 CST 2003

> >> Hi,
> >> I've got two apps from 1990. The disk says they need Windows 3.0. The
> >> first app is Clowns, and the second one is the installer.
> >> When I run one of them, they act like they can't find their files.
> >> The installer gives an error about a missing file, which is in the
> >> same dir is the executable itself and Clowns itself misses some
> >> graphics, which it also does in real Windows when I can't find some
> >> files.
> >> Any idea how to fix this? I do not get any special errors from Wine.
> >

> > What version of Wine are you using? I seem to remember seeing a patch
> > to Wine about a month or so ago, to make sure to check the
> > executable's directory when searching for files.
>

> I'm using version 20031118.

Hi,
   I've been having a problem with a game under Wine that had similar
symptoms - a status file saying it couldn't find some files.

   A friend showed me how to solve the problem by cd'ing to the game's
directory before starting Wine. Now the game runs perfectly.

   I don't know if this would help you, but he said he's seen it on a lot of
Windows games. If you have this problem with the installer, you may need to
copy the CD contents to a directory, cd there, and then run the installer.

   This problem seems akin to Wine not having the 'Start in:' entry from the
Windows shortcut for starting the game.

Good luck,
Mark