Windows 3.0 apps can't find their files

brett holcomb brettholcomb at charter.net
Tue Dec 16 12:03:38 CST 2003

Many of the old windows programs use an ini file in the
system directory or in their own directory.  Usually they
programmers dumped all the ini files in the system
directory (this caused immense clutter so instead of
fixing it MS came out with the mess called a registry).
 Make sure your C drive is set up correctly in the config
file and that you have a System directory under the
c:\Windows directory.

Thinking about it path names shouldn't matter since the
win95 setting for the C drive says use win95 file system
which converted long names to short names.