Still need windows? Windows Messaging Service

Simon Shilton Simon.Shilton at hepworth-acoustics.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 04:45:13 CST 2003

John

>>When I try to install the GroupWise 5.5 client I get a message
stating
>>that the Windows Messaging Service wasn't installed.

there is a bunch of us trying to get GroupWise to work on Wine, bottom
line is, it won't

GW uses Windows Messaging Service for MAPI calls to integrate across
windows, and refuses to install if it does sense its presence.

tried all sorts of hacks, but even if you install Windows Messaging
System separately, and first, even if you track the Registry changes on
a clean Win98 pc, then insert them into you Wine Reg file, it still
won't work. Looks like it sets up some sort of virtual host inside
windows which just won't run under Wine, and GroupWise then never finds
it, and won't install - tried right up to the latest GW v6.5.1

Oh, same goes for Messenger client that comes with GW v6.5, no go there
as well

btw Both work if you use Win4Lin

best bet if you have a GW webaccess server is to use the Cross Platform
Java client which is currently on authorised beta, and there is an alpha
java messenger client from the same people at http://n-ix.com - both
work on Win2K, XP, Linux and Mac OS X

with Novell going gung ho with SuSe, Ximian and Linux Kernel etc its a
pity the GW developers aren't looking at Wine, but it appears they are
focussing on the Java client, and then integrating the Ximian desktop
client to a GW backend

all the best

Simon

>>> "John Creegan" <jcreegan at questarweb.com> 19/12/2003 20:45:47 >>>

First time wine user.  Installed on two PC's both Mandrake 9.2.  At
work
as a dual-boot with win2k, at home linux-only.

In both cases I compiled wine from source, the latest release from
last
week using tools/wineinstall.  On the work machine I unmounted the
windows partitions before the compile, so in both cases I got a
wine-only install (because it asked and I told it to).

Same problems on both machines.  Notepad works OK (though I had to
copy
the fonts from the home machine to the work machine... for some reason
they were installed at home but NOT at work).

When I try to install the Groupwise 5.5 client I get a message stating
that the Windows Messaging Service wasn't installed.  I'm thinking
after
reading the archives that if I'd allowed wine to use windows during
compile this wouldn't be a problem.

Similar problems installing Notes client R6 and Office XP as well.

For a start I'm going to rebuild wine and allow it to use the windows
install, just to see what will happen.  Before that I'm going to TAR
the
existing dir structure  including my .wine dir so I can go back
quickly.

What I've read suggests that wine is still alpha and that it hasn't
cut
the ties to windows too much yet.

Is it true that I probably won't get much installed and running in
wine
with a wine-only build?

information intended for a specific individual and purpose,
and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
disclosure,copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking
of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

**************** Hepworth Acoustics' Email Disclaimer *****************
This message and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. No

Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of
any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

If you received this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient.

except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to
state them to be the views of any such entity.

Hepworth Acoustics and any subsidiaries each reserve the right to
monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses,
however no responsibility is accepted or implied for damage caused by
any virus contained within it.
******************* [ www.hepworth-acoustics.co.uk ] ******************