TaxAct, wine 20031212

James E. LaBarre jamesl at bestweb.net
Mon Dec 22 12:37:33 CST 2003

So now I've tried my semi-annual attempt to get TaxAct to work under
Wine.  I downloaded the 2003 version (standard version is free).  In
previous years I would get a message that it couldn't open a file, or
couldn't create an empty document, but this year's won't even do that.

The install, as usual, works fine.  In order to get any dialogue boxes
that come up, I'd set up an override in .wine/config to run the app
itself in a window.

Here's where there's something screwy in Wine.  I installed both the
2002 & 2003 applications in a plain wine configuration.  The 2002
version runs in a window, and gives me the error "failed to create empty
document".  However, if I try the same thing with the 2003 version (same
config), it will *not* load it in a window, but will try to run
"managed".  Of course, this means I will never see a message.

I have suspected this problem stems from the app attempting to create
it's default data file, which for some stupid reason has imbedded spaces
in the name.  I  have attempted to get debug data from it, but have
never gotten an answer on *WHAT* data I need to capture, or *who/where*
to send it to even if I got a usable trace.