Awww...come on... ;-) RE: Mouse focus in Wine on non-focused Wine windows

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Dec 22 16:59:28 CST 2003

> > I assumed it's a problem that would be best solved at the
> lowest level to do
> > the most good.
>
> It might be useful to know that the problem exists in all 3.
>
> One thing to try, depending on what window manager you use, is to change
> the focus behavior. This is an X window manager setting, not a Wine or
> Windows setting. Many of the window managers allow you to select between
> various options like click, enter only, and enter-exit.

Yes, I've done that. I use fluxbox, which is a great for my needs but
arguably not the most mature of the choices out there. It happens with all
the mouse focus options they have. I have xfce4 on the system, but haven't
tried this exact test on it. I'll do that this evening and then off for
Xmas.

The problem seems just a bit different than purely focus though. If I run
the game and an xterm I can Alt-Tab the xterm on top of the game and then
select the xterm and do whatever I want in there. As long as the xterm is
inside the game's wine (overlapping on top) there is no effect on the game.

At this point, even with the xterm clearly in focus from the keyboard's
point of view, if I take the mouse outside of the game's area, the game
starts moving. I can even drag this xterm around the screen and while I'm
dragging the xterm the game is scrolling underneath! In my mind this is sort
of like the mouse messages are going two places - to the window manager to
drag the xterm and to the game at the same time. I can select another app
outside of the games area, but the game keeps following the mouse no matter
which title bar is active.

Thanks much,
Mark