Path length dependency

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 23 04:16:28 CST 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:33:21 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

> I've run across what looks like a bug, so I'm looking for some independent
> confirmation as to whether it's a Wine problem or a problem with the tools
> I'm using under wine.
>
> If I change the length of the name I'm invoking wine from, it will either
> successfully or unsuccessfully recognize the file passed in on the command
> line. For example, if I'm in my
>
> /home/mikey/sandbox/temp123/latest/design/designsTop/top/tests/topSelfTest/test1
>
> and invoke `wine -- mcpp.exe file.c` with mcpp.exe being on in the wine
> "Path" declaration, the Dos executable properly recognizes file.c.
>
> If the directory name changes to:
> /home/mikey/sandbox/temp123/latest/design/designsTop/top/tests/topSelfTest/test12
>
> the application is unable to determine the path to the file file.c.
>
> Subsequent testing showed that either wine or my Dos program is truncating
> the current path to an arbitrary number of characters.

According to my old Microsoft Programmers Reference (dating from DOS
3.2) paths are limited to 64 characters. That is close to where you run
into trouble, allowing for long to short filenames and the part that is
Wine's drive configuration.

I do not think Wine has this limit as well, most dos functions use a
limit of 256 chars,  but I could be wrong.

My guess is that is likely the program that imposes this limit, under
the real DOS it would not have benefited from longer paths.

If you want to investigate further, run with --debugmsg +file,+dosfs and
study the output.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes