wine newbie can't get install of Icewind Dale to work

Matt Morgan matt at jiffycomp.com
Sat Dec 27 16:47:16 CST 2003

I'm pretty new to wine. I'm pretty sure I have it installed and
configured correctly (notepad runs perfectly), but I can't get Icewind
Dale to install. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but ...

Basically, I stick the CD in, run

wine /mnt/cdrom/Setup.exe

the install starts, and says Icewind Dale is starting the InstallShield
wizard which will guide me through the install process, and runs quickly
up to 100% on the progress bar. BUT, at about 98% another window pops up
very briefly then disappears.

After sitting at 100% for a minute or so, the InstallShield window
closes, and I get this at the command line:

[matt at localhost .wine]$ wine /mnt/cdrom/Setup.exe
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
err:wave:ARTS_WaveInit arts_init() failed (-1)
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  12 (X_ConfigureWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  93

I have seen that IceWind Dale should work, although I the winehq apps
database doesn't really say anything else about it, and Frank's Corner
doesn't mention it (although it mentions Baldur's Gate, which is
supposed to be similar).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt