error while starting up Excel (wine cvs)

Nirmal Govind nirmalg at psu.edu
Tue Dec 30 14:59:05 CST 2003

> the rating for excel xp isn't good at all, I think your only hope is probably
> crossover office, it runs office xp out of the box, but it isn't free.

I just installed the trial version of Crossover Office.. totally
amazing... it's quite interesting - the point at the Office
installer quits while installing the system components using wine,
the setup using Crossover doesn't.. it installed fine and I have
Excel/Word/PPT running fine.. and somehow it seems a lot faster than
what it is on Windows or Mac..

Oh the reason why the install using wine quit saying it can't find
the OSP1.CAB file on the CD was since the cdrom wasn't mounted with
the unhide option.. Crossover figured this one out.... hopefully
this will save someone else the same trouble.. (of figuring out the
unhide option)..

> Openoffice may be a solution for you, it comes with most linux distros and is
> compatible with office xp, also see http://www.openoffice.org

Yes, I've been using Openoffice for a while now... there are some
things that Openoffice can't do (in addition to some issues with
compatibility), for example, adding a trendline to a curve and
showing me the equation for the fit and the corresponding R^2
value.. but it's free software (and it's great for most purposes) so
I can't complain and hopefully Openoffice will get there someday.. I
only use the spreadsheet since most of my document editing is done
in LaTeX/LyX...

Thanks,
nirmal