Winlib, winebuild and linux shared libraries questions

whitnl73 at juno.com whitnl73 at juno.com
Mon Feb 10 13:55:13 CST 2003

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Paulo de Carvalho wrote:

> Taken from winebuild man page:
>
> "winebuild generates the C and assembly files that are necessary to
> build a Wine dll, which is basically a Win32 dll encapsulated inside a
> Unix library."
>

> 	My question is:
>
> 		Can this "Wine dll" be used from a standard linux program? That is,
> can I use the exported functions in this "Wine dll" from a standard
> linux program?

Errr, not exactly.  A winelib program or dll can use either windows C
runtime (if it imports msvcrt/mfc42 or crtdll) or *NIX C runtime
functions if it doesn't.  Winelib .exe.so programs can import from
.dll.so files (or windows native dll's, depending on ~/.wine/config
for each dll/application); a .dll.so can import from other .dll.so
files.

> ---
>
> One thing I've noticed is that, after using winemaker, one of the
> created files is a <targetname>.so file, a linux shared library.

A linux shared library in file format, but not in content.

> 	Another question:
>
> 		Is this <targetname>.so file, the "Wine dll"?
>
> Thanx in advance!
> Paulo L. de Carvalho
>
> PS: Forgive my english...

Lawson