A few quick questions

dkopko at stevens-tech.edu dkopko at stevens-tech.edu
Wed Feb 12 15:38:01 CST 2003

I am using wine-02052003 CVS.

1)  Is it at all advisable to run any of the DirectX installers that come with
games?  Are they totally useless to wine, or if not, which of the dlls which
they provide would be useful to have installed?

2)  I read on one of these mailing lists that the wine executable (and I assume
the libraries?) has to be able to be reached from a Windows drive letter.  Is
this really so?  I let winebuild do the build and install, but it did set that
up for me.  If it should be that way, what is the usual way to set that up (as
/usr/local/lib/wine is not writable by the user I'd like to run games as)?

3)  Is there any simple and straightfoward way to test whether or not wine is
having trouble using OpenGL for hardware acceleration?  I have been unable to
get it to work with Grim Fandango.  I have an nVidia card, and I noticed there
was discussion of a problem or uniqueness due to their headers.  Is there some
special way that I need to compile wine?

Thanks in advance and great job everyone...

Dan