Using a vendor's dll library from Linux (fwd)

whitnl73 at juno.com whitnl73 at juno.com
Wed Jan 1 15:19:32 CST 2003

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Ross Baker wrote:

> Hello,
> I am interested in using a linux program (EMC) that would need to control a
> hardware board from a vendor that only provides windows dlls to initialize it
> and give it commands.  I would assume that WINE would make it possible for me
> to interface with these dlls from linux (even if they call some commom MS
> Windows dlls themselves).  Am I correct?  If so, could someone please point
> me in the direction of some documentation?  The dlls work with Windows 9x.
>
> Thanks,

Maybe.  If the dll's behave themselves, Wine may well run them.  If they
try to access the hardware directly, it won't.  Wine uses the underlying
OS (linux or other *NIX) to work the hardware.  It can't give windows
.dll's or .drv's the ability to access the hardware directly.  If you
need that, you might look into vmware or - I forget the name of the
other one

Lawson
--
---oops---