Running Virtualdub in a fake windows installation

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 10:19:19 CST 2003

On Thursday 02 Jan 2003 10:53, Ronald Castillo wrote:
> ... VirtualDub doesn't recognize the Divx codec.

Hm, interesting. I'm sure I used to be able to select the divx 5 codec in the
compression dialog, although I've never actually used it (I remember poking
around with its settings to see what it could do). I've just tried it and
sure enough it isn't listed. If I can find the time now the holidays are over
and I'm back at work, I might try a regression test and find where it
disappeared.

It's still possible to _open_ divx avi files with it, though...

If you've got zillions of bytes of disk space, or you're only working with
clips of a few minutes' length, you could export to raw RGB then encode to
MPEG4 with a native Linux encoder like Mencoder. (Anyone know of a way to
pipe from vdub into mencoder? I've tried saving into a fifo, but that just
gives an error.)

Sorry I couldn't suggest anything more practical :-)

Stephen