Unknown VxD SICE

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Sat Jan 4 17:00:44 CST 2003

Howdy,
I'm trying to get BearShare to run under wine, and I've run into a
problem.  (This was a copy the directory from Windows install, rather
than a real install or a use the directory from a dual boot Windows
partition install.)  I get the following messages:

fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD SICE. Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD NTICE. Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD SIWDEBUG. Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD SIWVID. Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.

I did a little poking around, and the VxDs have something to do with
DVDs or copy=protection.  There are even references to using SICE to
hack machines.

I'm not so sure I want to install BearShare using wine anymore, but my
curiosity is piqued.  Any ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks,
Oliver Sampson
olsam at quickaudio.com
http://www.oliversampson.com