Anyone here user lightwave/screamernet

Evil Kosh evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 21:36:45 CST 2003

Hi there guys

this is my first post here, I thought I would inform everyone that I am
currently building a screamernet controller in gtk+

I first got the idea after being interested in lightnet on win32, but
since it was written in delphi, a language I care little about I went
ahead with writing my own controller.  Soon after win2k would crash
almost every hour and unknown to me, breaking my disk, I have about 10MB
of bad sectors on the disk because of that, however, this prompted me to
move to linux, which then stumped me as I couldnt develop my screamernet
controller anymore, so I grabbed the tools and rewrote it using gtk+ and
here we are.

I'm at the stage where I am executing screamernet now, which is what I
want to talk about.

my interface can handle multiple scenes and multiple screamers, but this
is not important right now, I am mainly interested in running
screamernet under wine and being able to render something, then the
interesting stuff can happen!

anyone want to build a cheap render farm? want to save around £300 per
computer by not having to run windows on those machines? want to run
lightwave screamernet under linux in a nice interface?  SolarCell is
your man!

(this email is a little disjointed, I'm writing it as I go)

Anyway, I am requesting any information people here have about their
experience with running screamernet under wine, currently I can run it
in a console, it seems to run fine anyway, the command I use is this

wine --debugmsg fixme-all -- x:/Programs/lwsn.exe -2
-c"x:/LWConfigFiles" "w:/job1" "w:/ack1"

that runs screamernet and I get the expected output.

the problem comes from when I try to run this command through my
interface, it seems to just "lock" well, not hard, cause you can kill
it, but it just seems to sit there and do nothing.

it seems to say the obligatory

<start>
err:mmsys:MMDRV_InitHardcoded You didn't setup properly the config file
for the Wine multimedia modules.
Will use the hard-coded setup, but this will disappear soon.
Please add a WinMM section to your Wine config file.
<end>

and the lock up, however, it does this with the console and yet it runs
fine, why this is I dont know, anyone know?

I can of course make this alpha version available to anyone who wants
it, but I'm afraid I dont have any webspace or bandwidth by which I
could serve it to people, so it'll have to be on request say by
uploading it to someone's ftp if they offer it, or emailing it to you.

If you are interested, let me know, we can have a chat about it ok

cya
--
Evil Kosh <evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk>