Wine / Visual Foxpro 7 Problems (mouse click freezes the program)

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Thu Jan 9 20:47:02 CST 2003

Hi,

First of all, apologies if I'm not posting this in the correct place.

I'm successfully running Microsoft Visual Foxpro 7 under Wine, however I
needed to use the native versions of shlwapi and oleaut32.

There is a major problem still, however, and that is that foxpro will freeze
as soon as I use the mouse to click in certain controls (the command
window, a textbox, an edit box, others).  After I kill Visual Foxpro, the
output of Wine shows this:

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 18197 requests (18196 known processed) with 875 events
remaining.

I should also mention that while Visual Foxpro does freeze in that no
further input or output will occur, as the mouse pointer moves any text in
the control will either be selected or deselected... IOW the control seems
to be acting as if I never released the mouse button and it instead thinks
I'm trying to select text.

I know that Visual Foxpro runs with its own controls - it does not descend
from the Windows common controls.

I've tried running with the following command, to attempt to figure out what
is causing the issue:

wine -debugmsg +relay vfp7.exe &> /tmp/vfp7-wine-debugmsg.txt

however when I run this way, the mouse problem does not occur.  So running
with the relaying resolves the issue, but obviously it runs too slowly to
be useful.  And since it doesn't hang Visual Foxpro, I can't determine what
call is causing the issue.

I am new to Wine debugging and could use a few suggestions on how to
proceed.  I know that if I can get Visual Foxpro working on Linux the
repurcussions for the Visual Foxpro community will be huge - new life will
be breathed into the very product that Microsoft would rather see wither
away.

Thanks in advance.

Paul McNett - p at ulmcnett.com
Hollister, California, USA