Wine and DM Genie

Clayton Carter crcarter at cs.indiana.edu
Fri Jan 10 10:24:59 CST 2003

Hey all,

	I posted about this yesterday to the wine NG, but I've
discovered some new info about my trouble.

	I downloaded DM Genie[1] and the install works more or less
flawlessly from Wine.  When I run the installed executable, though,
problems ensue.  The splash screen shows up and proceeds to load a
number of modules/data, but then stops around 75% and my HDD starts
thrashing (kswapd starts working overtime) and response becomes very
sluggish.  I did a relay trace and it looks like this is due to the
program falling into a more or less endless loop of heap
reallocations.  (I see page after page of the relay trace that're more
or less identical, though I haven't inspected the fine details of
return values and addresses.)

	Otherwise, Wine works very well on my machine: as I said, the
install goes well and I've run several other programs (Karel++,
regedit, Dungeon Crafter).  DM Genie does have an evaluation
expiration, but I'm far from the 60 day limit.  I've let the machine
sit for up to an hour in this state and, as expected, nothing really
progresses.

	I've tried this all from a fake windows disk, too, but DM
Genie doesn't even get started before it bombs.  That's another
problem, though.

	I'm running:

	Debian `sid' unstable w/ my own 2.2.19
	XFree86 4.2.1
	GNOME 2
	Wine 20021219

	I've tried a number of the debugging tasks on the Wine
webpages, but they can be -- let's say -- rather confusing.  :)  So,
if anyone can help me work through this problem, I'd be very happy.
Not that I'm really desperate, but I *hate* rebooting and it seems
that solving this problem could be quite useful to Wine's
development.  Maybe.  :)

	Any ideas?  Thanks!

[1] http://www.dmgenie.com

--
Clayton Carter   crcarter at cs dot indiana dot edu
"My mom says I'm the handsomest guy at school."