FIXED: Deus Ex on latest WineX

Roland Häder webmaster at autoinstaller.de
Sun Jan 19 11:17:28 CST 2003

Hi,

I got it running! I have also installed the latest patch of Deus Ex.

Here're a step-by-step instructions:
1. Create an empty file with at least 1.5 GB (1 GB is not enougth for saving
games!): dd if=/dev/zero of=DeusEx_Game bs=1024k count=1600
2. Connect it to a free loop-back device: losetup /dev/loop6 DeusEx_Game
3. Create a VFAT filesystem on it: mkfs.vfat /dev/loop6   (ignore the error
message)
4. Create a mount-point where the game should be placed to: mkdir
/c/Games/DeusEx
5. Mount the loop-back device where your game's directory is located: mount
/dev/loop6 /c/Games/DeusEx
6. mount your Deus Ex CD: mount /dev/sr1 /cdrom0
7. Run the setup.exe program: cd /cdrom0/SYSTEM/ && wine SETUP.EXE
8. Grab the latest Deus Ex patch and run it with wine (you know how... ;) )
9. Change into Deus Ex' system dir: cd /c/Games/DeusEx/System
9.a) You may have to set all rendering devices to
SoftDrv.SoftwareRenderingDevice (right?) when you got a black screen and
please SWITCH OFF fullscreen in the DeusEx.ini file!!!
10. Lauch Deus Ex: wine DeusEx.exe

Well, when I try to save a game, Deus Ex is hanging up. :( This was the error
message related to this prob:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7014d038 "?" wait timed out,
retrying (60 sec) fs=2007

There's also a MIDI device prob here. I use OSS from vanilla kernel 2.4.20

Chears,
  Roland