Font question

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sun Jan 26 10:14:34 CST 2003

Robert Dady wrote:
 > Hi Everybody!
 >
 > I have used an 200112xx version of Wine and there was'nt such a
 > problem. Now I have the 20030115 version. I have compiled it and
 > installed. Everything works but instead of the fonts I have
 > everywhere just rectangles.
 >
 > How can I repair this little bug (this one must be not a serios one,
 > I think), and make my fonts show on?

You can put real Windows fonts into the C:\windows\Fonts directory;
wherever that maps to on your system. This will give the best results
(Microsoft has made some very nice fonts). You can get them from a real
Windows installation, or get some from:

http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

You can also create entries in ~/.wine/config to point to your Linux
fonts; but just use the TrueType ones:

; the TrueType font dirs you want to make accessible to wine
[FontDirs]
"dir1" = "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
"dir2" = "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
;"dir3" = "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TT"
;"dir4" = "/usr/share/fonts/TT"