windows version to emulate

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Wed Jan 29 14:23:11 CST 2003

Harald Katzer wrote:

>hi wine-users,
>
>I have a problem with a program, that needs win3x.
>Everytime I try to run it under Wine, it says, that it cannot detect
>the proper windows version, though I have set the version to emulate
>to win31 in .wine/config
>
>It seems Wine does not care about, which version I want to emulate!
>Does someone has a clue about this?

Why do you say it requires win3x. Have you tried it with any (other)
version of windows? If it does not work unders say windows 95 it is
doubtfull that it will run under wine.  Some games are like that in that
they are hybrid  dos programs that want direct access to some hardware.
That being said, if it runs under windows 9x most of the time wine
_should handle at least the version check.

In any case the last 1000 lines  of a -debugmsg +relay before the
message box pops up should give us some indication what the problem is.

In addition to the trace some other information such as the wine version
and name of the program is helpfull.

--

Tony Lambregts