dvd2one with wine??

Jeff Sutherland jeffs at accelent.com
Wed Jan 29 15:08:26 CST 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 02:25 pm, Thorsten Kolb wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:07:16 +0000
>
> Andrew Hughes <hughes2002 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:18:12 +0100
> >
> > hal-9000- at t-online.de (Thorsten Kolb) wrote:
> > > hi,
> > > has anybody got running it?-- www.dvd2one.com -- this tool is the best
> > > for dvd copying under windows, its only 95kb large, so please try it
> > > and let me no if you got it working! I want to use this tool under
> > > linux! thanks in advance thorsten

> > Trying to run this under Wine just throws an exception for me straight
> > away.  I'm not sure how well such a program would work under Wine, as it
> > will need direct access to the burner if it plans to write a DVD.  What
> > exactly is the functionality you need?  I know there are quite a few
> > Linux programs that will read and write DVD movies.  dvdrtools will
> > manage burning DVDs. --
> > Andrew :-)
>
> hi,
> the programm cannot write to the burner, it is only for transcoding the
> vobs of a dvd to a lower bitrate, so they could fit on a dvd-r/+r! The
> programm does not know css decryption, so you must rip the dvd with
> transcode or dvdbackup! after transcoding the vobs with dvd2one you can
> burn them with your dvdrecord tool under linux! What this tool makes it for
> me interesting, is the great performance! while the average speed of
> transcode is about 5-7fps when transcoding a dvd to lower bitrate, its
> under dvd2one approximately 75fps! Also you could select undertitles und
> more languages, this isnt possible with linux tools yet! for me the
> performance is the first aspect!
> I dont have much experiences with wine so please help me.

The Windoze program "Nero" burns CD's just fine under wine at 12x, whereas
under WinXP-home Nero causes a blue screen of death :-)  I suspect that
Windows DVD burning might work as well.  I don't believe there's any serious
hardware obstacle to be overcome as long as the burner program loads and runs
under Wine.  A reasonably fast machine (mine is a PIII-800) helps, though.
I'd much rather use cdrdao or cdrecord under Linux because they run at real
time priority so are unlikely to fail even if the sytem becomes heavily
loaded, but generating the toc under Linux for a sao/dao audio cd is
currently more trouble than simply using Nero under Wine.
--
  Jeff Sutherland, Accelent Systems, Inc.   <http://www.accelent.com>