dvd2one with wine??

Thorsten Kolb hal-9000- at t-online.de
Fri Jan 31 06:52:49 CST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:48:54 +0100
hal-9000- at t-online.de (Thorsten Kolb) wrote:

> >If you like backing up your dvds might i recommend easydivx for windows
> >and dvd::rip for linux? I had a look at dvd2one and it seems very
> >incomplete. Either of the tools i mentioned there will do the whole lot
> >for you (except in easydivx's case it wont burn you a cd) with minimal
> >amount of clicks
>
> >John
>
> thanks. but I want to backup my dvds on dvd-r, not as divx!
> hope that dvd2one will run with wine soon!
> thorsten
> I have no experience with dvd writers but wouldn't making an image of
>the dvd with dd and using the dvd equivalent of cdrecord work?

>dd if=/dev/dvd of=/home/thorsten/dvdimage

>should make an image of the dvd....

yes, but most of the dvds are dvd-9! that mean they contain aproximately 9gb of video data, but the max disksize of dvd-r/+r is 4.3 gb, so you must shrink the size of the movie! for that task you need an encoder! dvd2one is optimal for that, fast and gives good quality!
Also, you can put subtitles and other languages on the dvd, with native linux tools, you can´t do that at that time.
thorsten