MIDI configuration

Sylvain Petreolle spetreolle at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 31 14:36:16 CST 2003

Thanks.
I gave it a closer look yesterday and I have seen that a special
configuration of timidity++ is needed to support MIDI on my sound card.
(es1371).

I will throw my es1371 and my NVidia sh**t out.
> First of all you need a driver that supports midi. Some of the
> OSS-drivers
> does not support midi.
> I have a Soundblaster Live Platinum, and AFAIK the OSS
> (kernel)-driver does
> not support midi.
>
> AFAIK this is true for all SB Live cards.
>
> If the kernel-driver for your card does not support midi, you'll have
> check out ALSA ( http://alsa-project.org ).
>
> There are two series of ALSA-drivers 0.5 (which is now considered
> deprecated)
> and 0.9.  AFAIK 0.9 is now at RC6-level.
>
> ALSA has OSS-emulation at kernel-level, by the way.
>
> You might also have to get a utility to load soundfonts into your
> card.
> For SB-cards you can use "sfxload", which on debian is in package
> "awesfx".
>
> After this I would test with a native Linux-application. The
> ALSA-pages
> has links.
>

> When it comes to wine, midi support is only available in the
> OSS-driver
> ( that would be wineoss.drv ). So make sure that one is selected in
> the
> wine-config.  AFAIK only midi-out is supported (but that is probably
> what you want).
>
> As a Windows application to test with, I would suggest JAZZ++
> ( http://jazzware.com ).
> This is an OpenSource sequencer , which is available for both Linux
> and
> Windows.
> It uses wxWindows, so you should be able to build it with
> debugging-info
> too, with a free compiler ( MinGW32 ? ).
>

> If you give me more details about your card, I can probably help you
> more.
>

> Tor Einar

=====
Sylvain Petreolle
spetreolle at users.sourceforge.net
Fight against Spam ! http://www.euro.cauce.org/en/index.html
ICQ #170597259

"Don't think you are. Know you are." Morpheus, in "Matrix".