Problems installing wine

Rob Hughes rob at robhughes.com
Mon Jul 7 07:01:57 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 02:40, Ken Sarkies wrote:

> vanilla compile of wine-20030618. When I ran wine, it told me that it
> could not find /usr/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so. The directory in fact doesn't
> exist because the compiled wine puts everything under the prefix
> /usr/local, not /usr. Why is wine picking up this prefix (which is the
> one apparently used by the RH distributions)? Same thing happened with
> the previous version 20030508, which I am now using.

I had a similar problem after I went from a binary to a source install.
First, as you seem to have done, make sure all the old traces of wine
are removed. Then, remove the /etc/ld.so.cache file, and run ldconfig to
rebuild the cache. Then, in your wine directory, make sure you do a
"make distclean" before you try to compile. I had to wash-rinse-repeat a
couple times, but I finally got everything running again.

Rob