wine for reverse engineering

Shachar Shemesh wine-users at shemesh.biz
Fri Jul 11 02:18:21 CDT 2003

Hi Julian,

I'm afraid the reason that Wine cannot run the driver is not only Wine's
inability to directly access the kernel. Drivers in Windows use a
different set of APIs to run. As such, trying to run the driver under
Wine will not work, as Wine doesn't even have the proper runtime linking
and libraries needed to load the driver.

I'm not sure about an "strace" like tool for Windows drivers, but the
only debugger I know that works on drivers is called "SoftIce", and is a
commercial proprietary software.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh