error with truetype fonts

Antony Gelberg antony at antgel.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 20:08:12 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm just getting into Wine.  I'm using 20020411 which I know is pretty
old, but it's part of Debian stable, and I don't want to upgrade unless
I have to.

I just tried to install some truetype fonts, and wine will now not load
anything:
antgel at brain:~$ wine /cdrom/SETUP.EXE
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font
'-microsoft-verdana-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-tcvn-5712' has unknown
character encoding '5712' in known registry 'tcvn'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font
'-microsoft-verdana-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-tcvn-5712' has unknown
character encoding '5712' in known registry 'tcvn'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font
'-microsoft-verdana-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-tcvn-5712' has unknown
character encoding '5712' in known registry 'tcvn'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font
'-microsoft-verdana-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-tcvn-5712' has unknown
character encoding '5712' in known registry 'tcvn'
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
Value in failed request:  0x2c000aa
Serial number of failed request:  671
Wine failed with return code 1

So, in an attempt to "bypass" the problem, I moved all my verdana*.ttf
files out of /usr/share/fonts/truetype, and re-ran mkfontdir.

antgel at brain:~$ wine /cdrom/SETUP.EXE
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
Value in failed request:  0x2c00075
Serial number of failed request:  512
Wine failed with return code 1
antgel at brain:~$

Can anyone give me a hand in debugging this?  I'm running XF864.3,
freetype 2.0.9, everything else standard Woody.

Antony

PS Don't know why wine reports that it can't find freetype - not sure if
that is relevant though.