Trillian

Joshua M. Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Sat Jun 14 18:36:43 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 02:40, Manojav Sridhar wrote:
> hello all,
>
> i noticed a an earlier post with regards to trillian. i can install and
> run, but when i move the trillian window X freezes. i have to do a
> ctrl-alt-bksp to recover and then i get this message when starting it
> again
>
> err:wave:OSS_WaveOutInit /dev/mixer1: not found!
> err:wave:OSS_WaveInInit /dev/mixer1: not found!
> wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x401093bc "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) tid=0013
>
> i am using
>
> wine-20030508-1rh9winehq
>
> wondering if anybody  has gotten around this issue.

I've been running Trillian Pro quite successfully on wine-20030508
since, well, May 8th. I run with all Trillian windows in one container
to keep the clutter down. A couple of things I noticed:

o I get the lockups occasionally, but *only* during signon and *only* if
the hotmail notification window pops up and I try to move it or close it
while the buddy list is still updating.

o I have terrible luck using any skins other than the default skin. Some
cause Wine to die, some cause Trillian to freeze, and some cause other
weird problems (menus stop working, etc.)

o I can't select text at all to copy text out of trillian, although
pasting stuff in works just fine.

o Scrolling is often painfully slow, both in contact window and buddy
lists. Clicking the up/down arrows only scrolls a few pixels it seems,
and the page up/page down areas do nothing when you click in them.

o Windows sometimes don't get focus until I minimize and expand them
once or twice. Then they get focus and I can type in them.

o Can't click on URLs and can't view history. This may just be config
issues with my Wine installation though; I may need to setup the helper
apps correctly somewhere.

Overall though I'm very pleased with it. I'd rate it 4 out of 5 on
usability. It saves me the trouble of having to keep rdesktop running
into a WinXP machine all the time just to use Trillian.

--
Joshua M. Thompson <funaho at jurai.org>
Planet Jurai