Various problems- it just gets worse!

Tom Barnes-Lawrence tomble at usermail.com
Sat Jun 28 19:49:57 CDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 05:14:56PM -0700, Duane Clark wrote:
> Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:
> >Sounds simple enough! Tried it (using appropriate paths). It mumbled
> >about my FDD (as wine does each time I use it), sat there for a couple
> >of seconds, and then finished without any more info.
>
> Actually, "without any more info" is the normal behavior for regedit.
> Yes, it probably should say something like "Registry entries installed",
> but it doesn't.

  I'd say yes, it definitely should, especially as there's no manpage
or anything to say what it should actually do, etc...
But I shan't dwell on that.

> If you want to be sure, read the file winedefault.reg, and compare it to
> ~/.wine/system.reg. The format is slightly different, but the
> differences should be obvious.

  That's the thing! There *is* not system.reg, not in ~/.wine, not in
the windows directory I made, not anywhere. That was why I was getting
so frustrated- there was no sign of regedit having created or altered
ANY file whatsoever. The document about the registry talks about lots
of different files foo.reg and bar.dat and whatever. Doesn't say what
regedit is supposed to actually create or modify though.

> > Then found the bit about "wineinstall", how it normally sets up the
> >registry. But this also compiles everything!
>
> It only recompiles source code that has changed. If you already compiled
> everything, wineinstall should zip right through the compile step.

  Hmm, I suppose. But I usually prefer not to use such scripts anyway.
There never seems much point in them.

> Regedit probably did work (I see no reason to think otherwise).

 As there is not system.reg, or anythingelse.reg anywhere, I'd say it
probably didn't.

> Whether TA works in Wine, I have no idea.

 As I said, it does, more or less. It never crashed or anything, it was
just the lack of sound or constraining the mouse (at first, at least).

> I also know that the Wine DirectX is under
> heavy development right now, so expect instability (inhcluding "issues"
> with the keyboard and mouse).

  Well remember that the keyboard *did* work, initially. It only stopped
working (never to return!) after I tried reinstalling/reconfiguring stuff.

> You might want to try WineX, if your only
> interest in Wine is for playing TA.
  I considered it, but I decided I'd rather stick with plain Wine.

Tom Barnes-Lawrence