Various problems- it just gets worse!

Tom Barnes-Lawrence tomble at usermail.com
Sun Jun 29 16:58:08 CDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 11:24:56AM +0200, Philipp Wollermann wrote:
> when installing the next time: just run wineinstall. It *really* makes
> things easier. :-)

 Hmm, well I'll think about it... :P
 I really don't like install scripts, it's not really possible to tell
exactly what they're going to do, and there's no way of cohtrolling
them (usually), so I can never be confident they won't try to install
things somewhere I really don't want them (some other people's install
scripts have done this). Maybe wineinstall is well behaved in this way,
and just installs things the way they're described in the installation
instructions.

 But then, what would be the point of using it?

> To fix this sound problem: You could try using another sound-driver in your
> ~/.wine/config to see if that works better. Maybe try the ALSA one, or the
> OSS..

 Thanks for the suggestion, but I've only got OSS sound, ALSA isn't
installed, and ~/.wine/config is already set up to use the oss driver.

 As the debug messages said
 "warn:dsound:DSOUND_CalcPlayPosition detected an underrun",

I'm supposing it's something wrong with the DSOUND settings in the config
file. But I haven't a clue what any of them mean. Like what is "HEL"?
I know what an underrun is, not quite sure what I could do about it
(if anything).

> Good luck,
> Philipp

 Thanks for your ideas, it's nice that people have been friendly and
tried to help whilst I was getting so annoyed with this (I'm in a
much better mood by now). And yes, it is nice that Wine (mostly) works
so well.

 Tom Barnes-Lawrence