Starcraft issues.

Adam Scriven scriven at lore.com
Mon Jun 30 17:28:20 CDT 2003

Hello group.

I've been an on-again off-again user of Wine for a very long time, but the
only real thing I use it for is playing games, as everything else I need
to do I can do in Linux natively.

I just setup my system on Gentoo linux, and installed the winex-cvs package,
which is the CVS version of WineX 3.1, and also winesetuptk.

Both compiled and installed OK, and so I proceeded onto installing Starcraft
from my CD.  That too went OK until it failed to make the stupid .lnk file,
and aborted the installation.

I can get StarCraft installed OK ('kill'ed the installation at this point,
and then just ran the program with no problems, as per the documentation
online), but if I try and run the 1.10 update, it fails.

Looking at the details of the failure tells me it couldn't find the registry
entry for StarCraft/InstallPath, or some such thing.

I think the problem is that the SC install only sets up the registry after
the link is successfully made, which of course never happens.  Does anyone have
a list of what SC installs into the registry, such that I can do it myself,
or know of another way to accomplish this?

I would very much love to play all my games with Wine (or WineX if it works
properly), and be able to ditch my Windows for good!
Thanks very much!
Adam