msi.dll

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:51:14 CST 2003

Tony Lambregts wrote:
> Duane Clark wrote:
>

>>Jade E. Deane wrote:
>>

>>>Found this to be rather interesting, regarding MSI:
>>>
>>>http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2000/11/0165.html
>>

>>That is rather, err.. very old. I was pretty sure MSI installer was
>>working recently (at least a few months ago), but trying it just now,
>>it seems to be broken again. So this would appear to be a regression
>>somewhere.
>>

> Well I could do the regression testing. Do you have a download url to
> recomend?

Ahh, I found at least part of the problem. I had recently started making
  my default Windows version to be "nt40", because many programs I use
insist on it. This setting breaks the version of InstMsi that I had.
Changing the Windows version to win98 fixed things.

That was not immediately abvious because although the MSI installer
throws up a dialog, there was only garbage text in it. However, the
relay trace was rather small and revealed:

0009:Call kernel32.OutputDebugStringA(004022e4 "ANSI version of the
Windows installer is not supported on Microsoft Windows NT.\n") ret=00401085

So I guess the main bug is why didn't that show up in the dialog.
Anyway, I think I got the MSI installer off the Microsoft website somewhere.