DLL not loading, msjava.dll, Encyclopedia Britannica

whitnl73 at juno.com whitnl73 at juno.com
Sun Mar 9 14:07:18 CST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Stephan Matthiesen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> excuse me if my problem is something obvious, but I'm lost and couldn't find
> any useful information (is there a search function for the list archive?). Im
> new to Wine (and only recently switched to Linux).
>
> Problem:
> I'm trying to run the Britannica Encyclopedia 2000 (BCD2000), but when I start
> it I get the error message (in a popup window) "Unable to start the
> application - Java virtual machine not found".
>
> As far as I could figure out, the JVM included on the CD  was correctly
> installed in /wine-c/windows/system/Msjava.dll  (/wine-c is my virtual
> C-Drive). So somehow it doesn't seem to find it.

At a guess, it doesn't look for it by loading it or importing anything
from it, that is, I guess the JVM would be a service and would have to
be run somehow, maybe with rundll32?

I'd try running "rundll32 msjava.dll" then try your app.  It might not
work, but where's the harm?

> I tried to start wine  with debugmessages:
>    wine --debugmsg +loaddll BCD2000.exe
> gives messages that a number of builtin dlls have been loaded, but no mention
> of msjava.dll. When I try
>    wine --dll msjava=n --debugmsg +loaddll BCD2000.exe
> Exactly the same - no msjava.dll appears in the message (shouldn't this load
> msjava.dll from windows/system in any case?).

Only if something asks for it.

> Other debugmessages (fixme, err) don't give any errors at all.
>
> I also tried to include an entry
> "msjava" = "native"
> in the config file, but no result.

There is no builtin for it, so wine will take the second choice from
"*" = "builtin, native"

> I'm using Wine 20030219 on Redhat 8.0. Winecheck gives no errors (except for
> floppy and CD not present). I have no native Windows installed. The Setup
> program for the Encyclopedia Britannica worked smoothly and installed the
> program in /wine-c/Program Files/Britannica/BCD
>
> Relevant sections in my ~home/.wine/config:

You mean ~/.wine/config, AKA $HOME/.wine/config, isn't it?

> Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> All the best
> Stephan
>
> Stephan Matthiesen
> Institute for Meteorology, University of Edinburgh
> http://www.met.ed.ac.uk/~stephan

Lawson
--
---oops---