AOL on Linux

whitnl73 at juno.com whitnl73 at juno.com
Mon Mar 10 20:29:14 CST 2003

| Hello.  I am a newbie to wine.  In my local area, the only way to have
| unmetered access to th internet is to use AOL.  After some research on
| the internet, it gas come to light that some linux users have managed
| to install AOL's version 5.0 of their software to access AOL.
|
| Following these instructions, AOL5 is installed on my computer.  The
| command "wine setup32.exe" was run.  AOL5 has been installed.  On
| launching the program, the login screen appears.  However, the software
| is unable to access the modem and establish a connection.
|
| Is it possible to access AOL in this way?  Does anyone have a better
| Solution.

Maybe.  if it works the modem with the *Comm or *File API, these are
well supported.  DUN and RAS are not, probably will never be.  In fact
you get this mail by modem from the Juno version 2 client.

Note you must configure the modem to linux (set the correct IRQ with
setserial, FI) and name the com device in ~/.wine/config:

[serialports]
"Com1" = "/dev/ttyS0"
"Com2" = "/dev/ttyS1"
"Com3" = "/dev/ttyS2"

The user who runs wine needs to be able to read and write the modem
device (not just the symbolic link /dev/modem, the real device,
/dev/ttyS<n> or (with devfs, /dev/tts/<n>) and needs to be able to
create a lock file in /var/lock, I think).  Root should not run wine.

If you still have trouble with the modem, let me know.  I can probably
find a copy of AOL somewhere and hack around with it, and I am familiar
with wine serial comm (See documentation/ChangeLog.OLD).

| I have downloaded and compiled Penggy.  However, this allows browser
| and non-AOL mail access but not access to their computing chat channel
| which I use a lot.  If Penggy has a connection to AOL the AOL front end
| does not connect at all.  Probably becase Penggy is already connected
| and two connections are not permitted by AOL.  Is there a workaround
| this?

Does Penggy use the modem?

| Any help will be appreciated.
|

| LinuxWorld999
| Registered Linux User #305521
| http://counter.li.org

I registered a long time ago, but I have forgotten my User #,

Lawson
--
---oops---