AOL on Linux

whitnl73 at juno.com whitnl73 at juno.com
Tue Mar 11 10:23:21 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Linux World 999 wrote:

> Do you know how to check for this?  How can I make sure is modem is usable
> by all users?

chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS0
chmod a+rwx /var/lock

You might not want to do this.  For a single-user workstation it doesn't
much matter, but the administrator of a multiuser system might not want
to let just any user work the modem.  It is more customary to allow a
group to work the modem, and add the users to be allowed to the group.

groupadd modem
chgrp modem /dev/ttyS0
chmod g+rw /dev/ttyS0
chgrp modem /var/lock
chmod g+rwx /var/lock

I don't know how to add a user to a group, except to edit /etc/passwd
and give it that group number.

Lawson

Oh, right, I don't know any way an external modem could be a winmodem.
wine does not work winmodems, you need a linux device driver for that,
and there are a few for some winmodems.

--
---oops---