Warcraft 3

Jens Lehmann jens.lehmann at goldmail.de
Tue Mar 11 17:22:10 CST 2003

whitnl73 at juno.com wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Jens Lehmann wrote:
>
>>today I installed Wine 20030115 (Backport) on a Debian GNU/Linux woody
>>system. I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 graphics card and NvidiaDrivers, so
>>OpenGL should work.  I have an exisiting Warcraft3 1.04 Installation
>>(original, without CD-Patch) on Windows XP with an NTFS Filesystem. The
>>Warcraft-CD-ROM is mounted to /dev/cdrom. I configured wine
>>automatically with winesetuptk. The windows partition is mounted to
>>/mnt/windows with read and execute, but without write-permissions.

First of all I would like to know if it's possible to run programs on a
non-writable partition.(?) If it isn't I need to convert the
NTFS-Partiton to FAT32. Sorry, that I didn't ask this directly.

>>When I change to the Warcraft3-directory I get the following error-message:
>>
>>jl at debian:/mnt/windows/Spiele/Warcraft III$ wine war3.exe -- -opengl
>>--debugmessage +all
>
> Oh, yuck, does debian rename wine to wine.bin and use a wrapper?

/usr/bin/wine exists as well as /usr/bin/wine-bin.

> If you are trying to give that to wine, it is spelled
>
> wine --debugmsg +relay,+module,+win32 war3.exe -- -opengl

I did that and there was a lot of output (I stopped it after a while).

>>Invoking /usr/bin/wine.bin war3.exe -- -opengl --debugmessage +all ...
>>err:win32:PE_fixup_imports No implementation for
>>imm32.dll.2(ImmAssociateContextEx) imported from C:\Spiele\Warcraft
>>III\war3.exe, setting
>>to 0xdeadbeef
>>err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x400dcd44
>>"../../loader/module.c: loader_section" wait timed out, retrying (60
>>sec) tid=0807be20
>>wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
>>err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x400dcd44
>>"../../loader/module.c: loader_section" wait timed out, retrying (60
>>sec) tid=0807be20
>>err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000194 flags 0
>>addr 0x400ab9a0
>

> c0000194 is "possible deadlock" and might represent a bug in or near
> loader/module.c, but OTOH she had warts, and you might get better
> results with
>
> "imm32" = "native"
> in ~/.wine/config [DllOverrides]

I've put this in there. Now I get:

jl at debian:/mnt/windows/Spiele/Warcraft III$ wine war3.exe -- -opengl
Invoking /usr/bin/wine.bin war3.exe -- -opengl ...
err:module:PE_fixup_imports Module (file) imm32.dll (which is needed by
C:\Spiele\Warcraft III\war3.exe) not found
Wine failed with return code 2

If you want I can mail the debug-messages to you. imm32.dll seems to
cause trouble. The folllowing files exist in my system:

/usr/lib/wine/imm32.dll.so
/mnt/windows/WINDOWS/system32/dllcache/imm32.dll
/mnt/windows/WINDOWS/system32/imm32.dll

>>A Wine Launch Window opens and closes, but there is no Warcraft Window
>>poping up. I started notepad with wine before, that's why it generally
>>should work. Hope anyone can point me in the right direction.
>>

> The wine builtin notepad, or a native notepad.exe from your windows
> drive?

The notepad.exe under the WINDOWS.

If you need more information please ask. Maybe there is another problem
because Warcraft needs the CD-ROM when starting.

Jens