Need technical help

whitnl73 at juno.com whitnl73 at juno.com
Thu Mar 13 21:20:13 CST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, N RAMAKRISHNA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can any one hlep me in finding solution for my problem.
>
> One of our clients are having a finger print scan device "Verifier 300"
> from Cross Match Technologies
> Inc.(http://www.crossmatch.net/products_singlescan_v30.html#specs). We are
> developing some authentication application, which uses this device for
> taking finger print. This device works with windows as specified by the
> vendor. But we want to use this with Linux system.
>
> Is it possible to develop the complete application in windows machine and
> use WINE installation in Linux system for running this application? Will
> it work with that device.

Probably not.  Wine works the hardware by using the underlying *NIX OS
system calls.  If you have a spec for how the hardware behaves, maybe I
or another on this list or wine-devel can make a linux driver for it, or
possibly a wine builtin vxd.  Wine cannot run windows native vxd's.
This is both a limitation of the OS and a policy decision I happen to
agree with.

> Any one please suggest some way.
>
> Small reply is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,