win3.1 in wine & suse8.1

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sun Mar 16 14:38:57 CST 2003

Serge Naggar wrote:
> I'm new to wine and suse 8.1.
>
> I d/l the most current wine version for suse8.1 = 200303.. and rpmed it.
> I was surprised that wine was not updated with Yast but only directly
> with rpm.-F ...
> Does anybody you know why? I had tried it first and it seemed to work
> but rpm -q showed the same date!
> I now have doubts on all the other rpm patches/updates ...
>
> The win3.1 program is special purpose and runs well on win 3.1.
>
> It does require  a change to files in the \WINDOWS\ directory:
> the WIN.INI file : [after the line CA-VisualObjects] to add
> BrowseGranularity=20
>
> It also requires the addition of RIGHTS.INI and RRW.INI files.
>
> Am I correct to just add the files to the fake_windows directory and
> make the appropriate corrections relevant to their new environment?

Yep.

> When I used `setupwine' the existing fat partitions were `seen' and
> assigned D:\ and E:\.
> In view of the documented possible problems using actual fat partitions
> Am I not better off deleting those references and moving the data to the
> newly configured /home/ file[s]?

I'm only aware of problems when a "real" Windows partition is being used
for drive c:. But if you don't need those D: and E: drives, I would
remove them from the config, "just in case".

> Should I copy any other \WINDOWS\ files to wine /fake.../ directory?

Mainly fonts, from c:\windows\Fonts into the corresponding Wine
directory. Also, at least a few DLLs sometimes help, if this is a Win98
install. In particular, msvcrt and the ole and cabinet DLLs often come
in handy.

> Even though `setupwine saw the two fat16 partitions it assigned win95
> file formats rather than fat16.
> I left the win95 - was I correct?  [could be immaterial if D:\ & E:\ do
> not stay]

Yep.