[OT} OpenOffice (was Re: Excel needed with vba)

Keith Matthews keith_m at sweeney.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 03:12:42 CST 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:46:16 +0100
Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese at indel.ch> wrote:

> >I tried to install Excel with wine.
> >
> >Important for me is to use older excel-sheets with vba-macros from
> >1997. So any idea (without Excel) is welcome to!
>
> Usually OpenOffice is the first alternative to MSOffice but it won't
> know about VBA. But it has some scripting capabilities which look
> surprisingly like VB. So maybe if the macros aren't too complicated
> you may get them running on OO with a little bit of fiddling (I don't
> know really, I never use VBA :)

Starbasic is reasonably close in capability to VBA, but the
documentation on it still seems to be poor. It would be best to check
with the OpenOffice.org web site, making sure to browse the archives of
the 'users' mailing list as several people have put bits up on the web
but have not managed to get links from the project site.

OOo still has a limitation on number of rows which is also causing problems
to some.