Installing WINE onto a LTSP server for the nodes to use WINE.

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Wed May 14 06:23:29 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 06.21, ericglass wrote:
> Hey fellow LTSP users. I have been following the mailing list for the last
> few weeks and have not seen any mention of some info I could use.

I'm following the wine lists for about two years and not seen anything here
about your problem.

> I am trying to figure out how to install an application into LTSP so that
> each of my machines can run it.

These questions IMO should go to the LTSP lists, and not to wine's. There
could be wine specific issues, but probably there aren't any.
So you should try to do it yourself following some guidlines got from the LTSP
project. You can eg. try to follow the method how is netscape/mozilla made
available to be run locally by LTSP clients.
AFAIK the same procedure should be enough for wine. If not then please report
back. (Though you should report successes also ;)

> Specifically I am trying to install WINE so that my nodes can use it to run
> the Win32 version of Folding at Home's distributed computing client. I realize
> that there is a linux version, howeever the Win32 client is faster and I
> need to
> get WINE working to make this happen.
>
> WINE needs some libs that are not in the LTSP tree and I believeve it needs
> PERL
> and a few other apps.

AFAIK wine does not needs perl, not even for building it.

> I can work around the need for multiple node specific DIR & Modified files
> but my main problem is how to even get the clients to run WINE.
>
> Show can I install WINE to atleast make it available to the nodes? Can I
> use hard or soft links, or do I have to actually install the app into the
> LTSP tree?

You cannot use soft links (the clients will resolve that in our own FS).
Hard links can be used, but only if the libraries on the server (or more
exactly the ones used compile wine against) are compatible with the ones in
the dirs exported for the clients.
That was the case with LTSP 2.0 which used scripts to copy/hardlink the
libraries from the server to the dirs of the clients.
But LTSP 3.0 provides its own versions of libraries, which could be different
from the ones on the server.

> Has someone seen another website / HOWTO with info regarding this?

I think there is some info on the LTSP site :)

> Can I just mount the directories from my servers root FS into the tree to
> give
> the nodes access to the libs and executables.

Maybe yes maybe no :) I have done that with LTSP 2.0, tough it needed pretty
much work.
I have mounted /usr /lib, etc dirs of server as the appropriate dirs of
clients. It needed much tweeking of the bootup scripts of the clients. Also
you may run into problems if the hardware of the server and the clients are
different.

> thx for any info or leads you may be able to provide.

You are welcome :)

Regards
Zsolt