Wine unable to open display.

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sun May 18 11:28:43 CDT 2003

Rob Hughes wrote:

> Everyone keep saying this, but every time I try to run wineinstall, I
> get errors about missing scripts that I haven't been able to figure out.
>
> ./configure: line 88: conf2239.sh: No such file or directory
> ./configure: line 89: conf2239.sh: No such file or directory

I think this is likely because you have unpacked/installed the source
as, probably, root. But are trying to run wineinstall as a user. Notice
the code in configure, start line 87:

if test "${PATH_SEPARATOR+set}" != set; then
   echo "#! /bin/sh" >conf$$.sh
   echo  "exit 0"   >>conf$$.sh
   chmod +x conf$$.sh
   if (PATH="/nonexistent;."; conf$$.sh) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
     PATH_SEPARATOR=';'
   else
     PATH_SEPARATOR=:
   fi
   rm -f conf$$.sh
fi

It is attempting to create a file conf$$.sh, where the $$ gets replaced
by a number. Since you, the user, do not have write permission in the
directory, that fails. And similarly elsewhere in the script.

In short, there is little you can do here except blow away the whole
wine directory, and redo everything as the user, including compiling. If
compiling using wineinstall, it should automatically ask you for the
root password when it is time do the actual "make install", which is the
only step that needs to be done as root.