Wine unable to open display.

Philippe A z77y16 at hotmail.com
Sun May 18 13:04:48 CDT 2003

>please unpack the wine-source into your home directory, then to a "cd
>~/wine" and a "./tools/wineinstall". If it still doesn't work, please
>report
>back to the list.. :-)

Okay I made a make uninstall of my previous install, removed the source tree
and unpacked a fresh one. I did wineinstall as my user. It recompiled and
installed but the damned thing failed again at the registry setup stage. It
said it couldn't find programs/regedit/regedit.so.exe in
/usr/src/local/wine-*/miscemu (that's my src dir).

Oviously, attempting to start notepad.exe still gives me the XIO:  fatal IO
error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0" error.

I had exactly the same result with my previous install approach (make
everything as root, then run wineinstall as my user).  In other words in
back to square 1. The readme quick install instructions do not work for me.

Let me know if you can think of something else. I'll see what I can find in
the docs.