How can I Generate the cachedmetrics file?

Shachar Shemesh wine-users at shemesh.biz
Mon May 19 09:29:44 CDT 2003

Stelios Papaioanou wrote:

> Hello to everybody,
>
> I have accidentally deleted my cachedmetrics file. I thought that
> after I run wine and the file is not present,  wine would generate it
> - but it didn't :(
> Does anybody know how can I generate that file?
> Thanx in advance
> Stelios

May I hazard a guess - everything seems to be working properly.
Furthermore, let me guesstimate that you have a fontdir defined in your
config file.

Alternatively, I can guess that the "fonts" dir inside your (fake?)
windows is not empty.

If both those estimates are right, the answer is very simple. Wine did
not generate the cache because it wasn't using it for quite some time
anyways. The moment one font is available via either the fonts dir or in
the fake "fonts" directory, wine will no longer use the X11 fonts, and
will not need (and therefor generate) metrics cache.

If everything is working fine, just rejoice with your better, leaner,
more efficient Wine. If you are having font problems (which may explain
why you deleted the cache metrics), see if the following scenario sounds
plausable:
1. You did not add any fontsdir directives to your config file.
2. Fonts cache was generated and everything worked.
3. You ran the install for some application.
4. Afterwards nothing worked any more, not even after deleting the fonts
cache.

If that's what happened, a likely scenario is that the installation put
an additional font in the fake windows fonts directory. This caused Wine
to stop using the X11 fonts, and now your windows have no fonts defined.
If that is the case you have two options. Either move the fonts from the
fake windows into the X11 fonts directories, or point wine at the X11
fonts as well (for example - by adding fontsdir directives to your
config file).

hope this helps,

             Shachar

--