How to get IE5.5 or IE6.0

Philipp Wollermann phil_wo at gmx.net
Mon May 19 12:21:33 CDT 2003

Hi,

> Hello folks this sounds really dumb question but the Win98SE CD's I have
do
> not have the IE5 or any later versions of the software. Is there a way get
> this software?? I tried to download from the website but after few minutes
> the download program crashed on the Linux machine.

installing / using IE with Wine is not a good idea, as I know. Is there any
reason why you can't use Mozilla or any other native Linux browser? If it's
because an app is using IE as an embedded browser, then you could try to
install IE (there are some ways to do that, I've never got it to work).
There are some plans to do a Wine implementation of the IE-Interface using
Mozilla or KHTML but this is not working yet.

If you *really* want to use IE you could have a look at Cross-Over Office.
You have to buy this one, though.

Philipp