How can I Generate the cachedmetrics file?

Shachar Shemesh wine-users at shemesh.biz
Mon May 19 17:01:09 CDT 2003

Why do you reply in private?

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> A quick question, does this apply ONLY to TrueType fonts?

I'm not sure. Wine uses the freetype library to do that. I'm not 100%
sure what it supports.

> That is, if TrueType fonts are present, will WINE still use the Type 1
> fonts, and if so, how is this done?

If all that is available are fonts through the X11 server, those fonts
will be used. Wine will then not care what fonts they are. If Wine has
direct access to as little as one font, the X11 fonts will not be used,
as the direct access mechanism is much better. I know that I have had
problems accessing Hebrew in fonts that did have Hebrew characters until
I made them directly accessable to Wine.

I don't know whether Wine will use Type-1 through direct rendering. I
seem to recall it will, but don't hold me to it.

> --
> JRT

          Shachar

--