ACM using TrueSpeech codec (acmStreamOpen())

Robert W. Brewer rbrewer at op.net
Sun May 25 20:44:19 CDT 2003

Hi all, I and a few others are trying to implement
Yahoo voice chat under Linux.  Since Yahoo uses
the TrueSpeech codec, we are trying to load the
TrueSpeech DLL directly under Linux.  mplayer can
play TrueSpeech files already, and it appears that
it contains portions of Wine code to do so.  But
mplayer cannot create TrueSpeech files as far as I
know.

We have ripped the relevant code out of mplayer
and coaxed it to convert a TrueSpeech file to
plain old PCM format.  However, when I attempt to
go the other way (PCM to TrueSpeech format), I
always get an error when calling acmStreamOpen().
  The error code is ACMERR_NOTPOSSIBLE.

The next thing to do is to try and compile my code
against libwine instead of the Wine code from
mplayer, but I'm having a very difficult time
understanding what I need to do for that to
happen.  I have never written a Windows
application before, and if I could get
acmStreamOpen() to work correctly I could just go
back to the world of Linux programming.  :)

Has anyone used the ACM and/or TrueSpeech codec
successfully and has some ideas?  It may just be
something wrong with the parameters I'm filling
into the WAVEFORMATEX structs.  My code is pretty
straightforward, it's about 6 KB uncompressed if
anyone can take a look.  Thanks for any help.

-Rob