how does the mplayer call dll of windows system?

Robert Shearman R.J.Shearman at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 06:15:29 CST 2003

>     Hi:
>             Mentioned in mplayer, when decoding WMV9,
>         it calls wmv9domd.dll from win32 to do so.
>         Can it be applied to wine's emulator?

IIRC, mplayer is licensed under the GPL so we cannot use their code in Wine (which is now LGPL). However, I believe the basis of their code (the PE loader) originally came from Wine anyway.

>         If so, how does it execute this behavior?
>         If not, how does it do it?

It probably creates a wrapper around the DirectShow API, similar to the work I am doing at the moment. The advantage with codec DLLs is that they call very little (if any) APIs when they decode the data, so the mplayer people do not need to include wineserver and large numbers of APIs.

>         Hope someone who knows the answer can tell me, thank you

Hope I understood your questions correctly,
Rob