What do these fixme mean?

deedee deedee at writestop.com
Tue Nov 4 13:50:19 CST 2003

I'm using wine-20031016 on a Mandrake 9.1 system and have more or less
figured out what is going on with a number of error messages for
getting WordStar for Windows (WSWin) to work under Wine.

WSWin is a 16-bit program released for use with Win3x. Quite a few of
its features are breaking with WinXP; they started breaking a little
bit with 32-bit win9x.

I'm using the default config with WSWin set to run as a Win95
application. It doesn't work as well when I set it to run as a Win30 or
Win31 application under wine. WSWin is installed on a VFAT partition
running win98se.

I have no clue as to what the following fixme's really mean. These are
the only error messages that I receive for WSWin.

fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 253
fixme:hook:SetWindowsHookEx16 System-global hooks (2) broken in Win16
fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx :stub

Also, with this release of wine, I lost the use of the mouse with
WordStar. I continue to have the use of the mouse with the other apps
I'm using with wine. What should I do to figure out what's happening
there?

WSWin is otherwise working almost as well under wine as it worked under
win3.1. The mouse is critical, however, because it is a medium-weight
desktop publishing program and makes heavy use of child frames (i.e.,
graphics, text, and EPS frames) which are extremely difficult to place
or access via the keyboard.

Thanks for any leads you can give me.

deedee

Registered Linux User #327485