Wine and Micro$oft Office

Christophe christophe27 at gmx.net
Sat Nov 8 10:27:17 CST 2003

Hi all,

I wish to ask you some advice about Wine and Micro$oft Office.
I know this subject comes up every 10 sec, but I can't get Excel
nor WinWord work properly.

I must say I studied toroughly als faqs and archives I could find about this
subjects. So I allready checked :
* my X server is correctly installed, with ttf fonts ans so on..
* I have full acces to the windows partition where the programm is installed
* I use a double-boot with NT, but I let Wine run its own windows inwtall
* I already tried to re-install dcom95.exe (98 as well). (fyi, the install
programm refuses to install the prg and says a newer version had been
installed - I guess with wine install)
* I tried installing Wine 20031016 and 20030911 from rpm and from
src+compile+...

Both M$ programms start and shout for MsCreate.dir. And it is impossible
either to open nor to save a doc. (Actually dialog boxes i.e. open won't come
up)

Thanks in advance for your support. I need to have THESE working for 100%
compatibility purposes at work. Or I would have to give up linux :(

Christophe

Info about my system
RH9 running with kernel 2.4.20-8, X XFree86 Version 4.3.0
current Wine : 20030911
I attached my .wine/config file if you can have a look.
When starting, I always get a (approx translation) "mscreate is not
accessible ... maybe is it read-only file or the server (??) on which it is saved is
not responding"
It is maybe te reason why I also get :
> err:clipboard:X11DRV_CLIPBOARD_QueryAvailableData Failed to cache
text/plain;charset=utf-8 property
Then I have to click cancel : Basic functions are operative then.
When I choose open in the file menu : nothing happens and I get in the
console :