Wine and Micro$oft Office

Robert Shearman R.J.Shearman at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Nov 9 07:11:18 CST 2003

> Running excel.exe, my error status under Wine changed to :
> > fixme:ntdll:NtConnectPort (0x40575a30,L"\\RPC
> Control\\epmapper",0x408513f0,(nil),(nil),(nil),0x40851368,0x408513e8
(120)),stub!
> > fixme:ntdll:NtRequestWaitReplyPort ((nil),0x40851418,0x40851418),stub!

These are an example of Microsoft not documenting a whole set of functions
to manipulate an NT primitive. They are part of an API called Local
Procedure Call (LPC) and it is mainly used by RPC (the RPCRT4 DLL) to
communicate between COM apartments on the same machine.
In short, it is a known bug with Wine, but we haven't been motivated to both
document and implement LPC yet.

> > fixme:win32:SetCriticalSectionSpinCount critsection=0x653c6230:
> spincount=1000 not supported

This is harmless. Spincount is a performance enhancement for multiprocessor
machines. Instead of making a server call (or system call on Windows)
immediately the critical section functions can 'spin' for spincount times an
see if the critical section is released because server/system calls are
expensive.

> In addition to this, excel says it cannot access linked objects. Which is
> new then, even if I already knew that fact with wine. And after this,
beeps
> once more and freezes.

This would be due to the LPC calls not being implemented above.

> I guessed I had to make ntdll.dll accessible to native, but it did not
> change anything. Nor as builtin. I also tried to changed the "Wine
version" to
> nt40 and still no result.

Wine's NTDLL basically *is* Wine. You can't set this to native otherwise
Wine won't work. I guess as a safety measure it will silently ignore your
request.

> With winword, I get the same errors but Winword keeps running. Only that I
> still cannot open nor save a document (=the original pb). Winword says
"not
> enough memory available", as previously.
>
> But I have the impression I am coming further, and that your comment
> helped.thx. Do you have any new suggestion ? could you pls mail me your
config file
> so I can see what else I could have to change ?

Try using the built-in RPCRT4. I haven't used it with Winword, but I have
found it satisfactory for most of the programs that I run.

Rob